Our Ethos and Vision
Our vision, values and aims are at the core of everything we do at Johnstown Primary School. They underpin our learning and teaching, and provide an environment which enables our pupils to develop as confident, happy, 21st Century Citizens of Wales, equipped for lifelong learning in an ever-changing world.
We are an ambitious school where our mission statement ‘Be All You Can Be’ underpins our Core Values. We encourage all our learners to ‘Respect Others, Respect Yourself, Be a Good Learner’. Individuals are valued, achievements celebrated and our pupils, staff and community are united, healthy and secure to learn together through a lively, innovative and holistic curriculum.
What does the school aim to do with the children?
- To provide the highest academic standards in all aspects of the curriculum, continually monitoring and reviewing our learning and teaching practices
- To recognise and celebrate pupil’s achievement and attainment in equal measures
- To foster pupils’ enthusiasm and develop their knowledge, skills and understanding, enabling them to be ‘successful, capable and creative learners’
- To provide an environment which is secure, inclusive, stimulating and challenging
- To develop pupils’ confidence, perseverance, self-esteem and resilience ensuring that each individual is effectively motivated to do his/her best
- To proactively, fairly and consistently support the community with challenging situations through the use of the Restorative Practice Approach
- To develop critical independence skills as appropriate to age and stage of learning
- To be aware that each child has unique qualities, and provide the environment for those qualities to be developed
- Through Pupil Voice and Person Centred Planning, cater for the individual needs of every child
- To give a context to our children’s learning, by providing breadth and balance and cross curricular links where possible
- To work in partnership with parents, the wider community, and other schools collaboratively to ensure consistency and raise standards for all
- To prepare our children for life in society and to show respect and tolerance towards others, behave responsibly and treat others the way we would like to be treated, irrespective of background and life choices
- To be adaptive and entrepreneurial to prepare for life-long learning within an evolving digital age
- To help children understand their role globally, promote sustainability and become ethically informed citizens of Carmarthen, Wales and the wider World
- To encourage tolerance, through understanding of different faiths and beliefs and first-hand experiences
- To be proud of our Welsh heritage, and enjoy learning bilingually, inside and outside the classroom